a lot of faith and a lot of patience

If you need some tamale makers, we're your hermanas! 

Hola a todos!

HBD E! I can't get it through my head that you're 17!! Everyone wish him a feliz cumpleaños!

Rom always liked to say he got things done with a "little faith and a lot of patience." Well I think the past few weeks for me have been more like, "a lot of faith and a lot of patience." But the Lord is delivering! It's funny how small, simple tender mercies can make up for endless hours of finding and cancelled appointments.
 

Let me tell you about just one of these tender mercies.
Basically trailer parks have become our reward. Just realizing how crazy I sound but hear me out. Hna Tietz was also born in the mission in Lakeville and that place has like seven trailer parks, so she loves them too. When we are exhausted from finding all day long but still have more finding to do we look at each other and say, "parque de tráilers?"
 

So we went to a trailer park. Something we are really trying to do is clean up our area book. We are trying to see who is really interested and who just agreed to have missionaries come over but is never there when they come by. So we were stopping by people we had in our records and there was a man outside who was fixing his car. He waved at us with a big smile and said hello! So we walked over and started talking to him. He said that he is very unhappy with his life right now. He told us that he is waiting for the time he has more money because he knows he will be more happy. I loved more than anything to explain to him that he can find happiness right now! He was so open to our message and was someone who was truly seeking. Those are the kind of people we are looking for!
 

Some of the things he said had me thinking. Want to hear something crazy? We control our own happiness, it's a novel idea, I know! In MLC this week, we talked a bit about how happiness and being in control of one's life are connected. We don't need to wait for that far off day to be happy, we can be happy now. But we have to do those things that will make us happy, the things of God.

I loved this quote from Sister Dew I read in studies this week, it says, "If we constantly immerse ourselves in a fallen world, how far can we really expect to progress in this life? ...Mortality is a short-term proposition. None of us are going to stay here very long. Doesn't it make sense to devote as much energy as possible to things we can actually take with us into the eternities? To covenants, eternal relationships, our knowledge of truth, and to the blessings that come from devotion to the Lord? And those blessings are remarkable."
 

I don't think I have shared my conviction of just how vital personal study is. When I first started my mission, I couldn't get through the hour of personal study without falling asleep (ask my trainer, she can attest). But now after almost a year of studying the scriptures I can honestly tell you that an hour is nowhere near enough! It's gotten to the point where I can physically feel if I haven't studied, it's like my soul is hungry or something. Studying the scriptures and learning more about the gospel of Jesus Christ, then being able to share my testimony of it with others makes me genuinely happy. At mission conference this week Elder Dyches of the Seventy came and he promised us that if we read in the Book of Mormon everyday, we will never fall away. And I can confidently promise you that if you take his promise, you will also find more happiness than you have known, along with knowledge that you can take to the eternities.
 

I love you all and wish you the best week! 

 Enjoy these solid quotes of the week:
"I got skamawzed, going home isn't all it's cracked up to be Sistas." Elder Peterson
"Just remember he's 27 years old, that's a turn off number..." Sister Xiong
"It's like Kraft Mac and Cheese but it's tastier and you don't have digestive problems." Hna Tietz 

xoxo Hermana Hanson 

Comments